Bangladesh reports second coronavirus death
Published: শনিবার, মার্চ ২১, ২০২০
Another person has died from the novel coronavirus in Bangladesh, bringing the country’s death toll to two, said Health and Family Welfare Minister Zahid Malik.
Four people testive positive for COVID-19 in last 24 hours. With this, the number of affected people stood at 24, the minister said this in a press briefing on Saturday.
He said 50 people are in institutional quarantine and about 14,000 in home quarantine.
Earlier on March 18, Bangladesh confirmed the country’s first death from the deadly epidemic, and recorded first cases on March 8.
Gradually rise of the coronavirus cases in Bangladesh prompted the government to close all educational institutions, put Shibchar, an upazila of the country’s Madaripur district, on lockdown, shut down all bars, and impose restrictions on all kinds of political, social, cultural and religious gatherings in an effort to stem the spread of the virus.
The new coronavirus pandemic, first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year, kept spreading to newer countries.
The deadly virus spread to at least 185 countries and territories, killing some 11,417 people globally, according to Worldometer, a website which compiles number of new coronavirus cases and deaths from it.
As many as 276,462 people worldwide caught the virus. Among them, 91,954 people recovered from the virus, the website said.